Step 3: Pay the SEVIS Fee

If you have obtained a new SEVIS ID and record, you need to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee before applying for an F-1 visa, applying to change to F-1 status, or entering the U.S. in F-1 status (Canadian citizens do obtain F-1 visas but still must pay the SEVIS Fee before entering the U.S. with their I-20 and passport). For more information about the SEVIS fee and how to pay it, go to

If you have maintained the same SEVIS ID and record for which you have already paid the SEVIS Fee, you do not need to do so again. This is the case if you transferred your SEVIS record from another school or changed to a new degree program at FSU.

Note: Though F-2 dependents have their own SEVIS ID, they do not pay the SEVIS fee.