Step 11: If Eligible, Apply for a Social Security Number (SSN)

If you have never worked in the U.S. before, you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN). You need an SSN if you have been offered on-campus employment (such as a graduate assistantship). You do not need an SSN and you are not eligible to apply for one if you do not have an on-campus job offer.

If you are a new F-1 student eligible for an SSN, do the following:

  • Gather the necessary documents:
    1. On-Campus Employment Verification Letter, completed and printed on letterhead by your hiring department and then signed by an international student advisor at the CGE. Note: Do not apply until the advisor confirms that you are registered in SEVIS.
    2. A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
    3. Your passport.
    4. A printout of your I-94, retrieved from, or your I-94 Card (if you entered the U.S. by land/sea or were approved to change status to F-1).
    5. Your current I-20 Form.
  • Read the SSN brochure for car and bus directions to the SSA office, as well as additional information about the application process.
  • Take the above documents and apply for an SSN at the Social Security Administration office:

Social Security Administration
2002 Old St. Augustine Rd
Building B, Suite 12

Open 9:00 am—3:30 pm (M, T, Th & F)
Open 9:00 am—12:00 pm (W)

  • Show your employer your SSN application receipt, which you received from the SSA office when you applied.
  • After you receive your SSN card in the mail (in 2 – 4 weeks), show it to your employer, the FSU Card Center and the FSU Registrar.
title-inside title-centered