If you have never worked in the U.S. before, you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN). You need an SSN if you have been offered on-campus employment (such as a graduate assistantship). You do not need an SSN and you are not eligible to apply for one if you do not have an on-campus job offer.
If you are a new F-1 student eligible for an SSN, do the following:
- Gather the necessary documents:
- On-Campus Employment Verification Letter, completed and printed on letterhead by your hiring department and then signed by an international student advisor at the CGE. Note: Do not apply until the advisor confirms that you are registered in SEVIS.
- A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Your passport.
- A printout of your I-94, retrieved from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/, or your I-94 Card (if you entered the U.S. by land/sea or were approved to change status to F-1).
- Your current I-20 Form.
- Read the SSN brochure for car and bus directions to the SSA office, as well as additional information about the application process.
- Take the above documents and apply for an SSN at the Social Security Administration office:
Open 9:00 am—3:30 pm (M, T, Th & F)
Open 9:00 am—12:00 pm (W)