Other Visa Types

Florida State University Center for Global Engagement coordinates with departments to provide immigration support for the following visa categories:

E-3 Temporary Professional Worker

Florida State University's Office of the General Counsel sponsors E-3 temporary professional worker for employment in a specialty occupation. The specialty occupation must require a bachelor’s degree or higher (or the equivalent). This status is only appropriate for temporary employment and not for permanent positions. E-3 nonimmigrant status is initially granted for a period of no more than two years. Extensions of stay may be granted indefinitely in increments not to exceed two years.

TN for Canadian & Mexican Nationals

The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa/status allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States in prearranged business activities for U.S. or foreign employers. Permanent residents of Canada and Mexico are not able to apply for TN visas to work as NAFTA professionals. This status is only appropriate for temporary employment and not for permanent positions.

O-1 Alien of Extraordinary Ability

The O-1 visa category is for those who have extraordinary ability in their field, "demonstrated by national or international acclaim recognized in the field through extensive documentation."

"Extraordinary ability" is defined as "a level of expertise indicating that the person is one of the small percentage who has risen to the very top of the field of endeavor." 8 C.F.R. § 214.(o)(3)(ii).

The O-1 petition is an employment-based petition, meaning that Florida State University, as the employer, would submit the petition on behalf of the employee. The employing department would work with Florida State University's Center for Global Engagement to determine eligibility and to gather the required supporting documentation.

Florida State University typically uses the H-1B category to employ professionals, rather than the O-1 category. The university will submit O-1 petitions only when necessary.

B-1 Visitor for Business

This status is used by those who would like to travel to the U.S. for a short duration for business related reasons that do not require actual labor work or receiving payment from a U.S. source. You can use a B-1 visa for the following as it relates to FSU:

Conference, meeting, trade show, or business event attendee
Will receive no salary or income from a U.S.-based company/entity. For scientific, educational, professional, or business purposes.

Exposition or trade show employees of foreign exhibitors at international fairs (excludes government representatives)
Will receive no salary or income from a U.S.-based company/entity. Will plan, assemble, dismantle, maintain, or be employed in connection with exhibits at international fairs or expositions.

Lecturer or speaker
No salary or income from a U.S.-based company/entity, other than expenses incidental to the visit. If honorarium will be received, activities can last no longer than nine days at any single institution or organization; payment must be offered by an institution or organization described in 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(15)(B)(20); honorarium is for services conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and visa applicant will not have accepted such payment or expenses from more than five institutions or organizations over the last six months.

Independent research, no salary/income from a U.S.-based source, or benefit to U.S. institution.

Participating in a training program that is not designed primarily to provide employment. Will receive no payment or income from a U.S.-based company/entity, other than an expense allowance or expense reimbursement related to traveler’s stay.

title-inside title-centered