Responsibilities of H-1B Workers

Please review the items listed below carefully.  You are responsible for following these rules and regulations. 


  1. It is illegal for me to work for another employer using FSU’s approved H-1B petition because my H-1B status is employer-specific.


  1. I must inform the FSU Center for Global Engagement (CGE) of any changes in my employment as soon as I have knowledge that the change is imminent.  (For example, if you obtained H-1B status for a research position and you are asked to teach a course as a lecturer; or if your department plans to move you to another department.) 


  1. If I intend to travel outside of the U.S., it is imperative that I contact the CGE for visa instructions and necessary documentation.


  1. If I intend to travel outside of the U.S., and I do not possess a valid H-1B visa stamp in my passport, I must apply for a new H-1B visa stamp from a U.S. consulate or embassy prior to my re-entry to the U.S.


  1. If I attempt to obtain a visa as a third country national in Canada or Mexico, and my application is refused or remains pending, and I do not have a valid visa in my passport, I understand that I cannot legally re-enter the U.S. from Canada or Mexico.


  1. I understand that if I must apply for a new H-1B visa stamp in my passport to authorize my re-entry to the U.S., there is a risk of a delay in my obtaining the visa because of security checks by government agencies.  The delay may be from a few weeks to several months.


  1. After every trip outside the U.S., I should provide a photocopy of my new I-94.  Please be careful and look at the date that is put on your I-94 (and the I-94s of your dependents) when you reenter the U.S. If you passport will expire before the end of your H-1B approval, Customs and Border Protection Officers may use the passport expiration date as the date to which your stay in the U.S. is authorized. The date on the I-94 is the date that determines the length of time you may stay in the U.S., not the H-1B approval notice!


  1. I must keep my passport valid at all times.


  1. I must make sure my department submits an application to extend my H-1B status in a timely manner, preferably six month before the H-1B petition expires.


  1. If I plan to leave FSU’s employment, I must inform the CGE immediately.


  1. I understand that H-1B employees can bring their spouse and children (under 21) as derivatives under the H-4 status.  However, before turning 21, my children will need to make other arrangements regarding their own status.


  1. It is illegal for my dependent(s) holding H-4 status to be employed in the U.S. (H-4 dependents can study at FSU as in-state students.)


  1. If I am changing my place of residence in the U.S., I must inform the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Department of Homeland Security, within 10 days of such change.  I will also report this information for my dependents here with me.  I understand that I have to fill out Form AR-11 to report the address change to the USCIS.