Eligibility and Requirements for FSU students:
- Interest in learning about the host cultures of Jamaica or Germany
- Interest in increasing skills in cross-cultural communication and leadership and developing global awareness
- Participate in the planning and hosting of incoming students from Jamaica or Germany
- Register for and complete a one-credit hour course (INR3931) during spring semester
Application: Complete the application with the required information. Attach your essay and resume, including two references, before submitting the application.
Application Deadlines: The application, essay, and resume with contact information for two references is due Friday, September 14, 2018, for Jamaica and Monday, October 22, 2018, for Germany.
Selection: Applicants selected for an interview will be notified by email. Ten to twelve participants (plus alternates) will be selected. Students selected for Jamaica will be notified in September and those selected for Germany will be notified in November.
Essay Question Guidelines: Please address all of the following questions in your essay to be attached to your online application submission:
- Why have you chosen to pursue this type of cultural exchange program as opposed to a more traditional study abroad program?
- Participating in Beyond Borders requires you to be engaged in hosting the visiting group and forming connections with them while they are at FSU. What knowledge, skills, and experience do you have that would make you the ideal host and ambassador for FSU? Please note that the visiting students will be provided with housing by the CGE
- Beyond Borders is a group experience, and the group will follow a very full, set schedule created by our hosts while abroad. Given your personality and experiences, please describe: Why this type of travel appeals to you and what challenges you foresee in this type of structured experience?
If you have any questions, please contact Laura Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org.