After receiving the important update from President Thrasher regarding COVID-19 and the shift to online instruction following Spring Break, Global Citizenship Certificate has made important changes to accommodate various student needs.
- The certificate will continue to be fully operational and advisors will be available to answer student questions and address any concerns. If you have a question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. This account is checked by several advisors and is the most efficient way to receive a rapid response.
- Info sessions and drop-in advising hours will be conducted virtually. To schedule a meeting, please visit: https://bit.ly/2wSdaJx.
Florida State University recognizes that today’s global economy requires graduates who are both academically and cross-culturally prepared in order to succeed in a diverse and multicultural world, and the Global Citizenship Certificate is designed to help prepare students for the new challenges of living and working in the global society of the 21st century.
Students who enroll in the certificate take a total of 4 academic courses.
1 Required Course:
- IDS 2431 - Sections 0001, 0002, or 0004 - Offered through the Globe
- IDS 2460 - Section 1 - Offered through the School of Communication
Satisfies Liberal Studies: E-Series, Cross Cultural X, State Mandated Writing, Social Sciences
3 Elective Courses:
- Electives must consist of courses with a cross-cultural/global theme at a 2000-level or higher and one course at a 3000-level or higher.
- One language course may be counted as an elective course as well.
- A list of all the pre-approved electives can be found on Canvas on the Home Page.
- If you are enrolled or plan to enroll in a course that is not listed but you feel meets Certificate requirements, please contact your Certificate Advisor for approval.
Students also participate in international and/or cross-cultural experiences and events on campus as part of the certificate. Such active learning and reflection, together with cross-cultural interaction and dialogue, help provide the invaluable cross-cultural skills and competencies needed to be a global-ready graduate. Additionally, students receive a transcript notation, and the certificate also counts toward Garnet and Gold Scholar Society international engagement area.
This certificate program brings together students who already have an interest in global issues and those who have not been exposed to cultures, languages, and issues outside of their own. Students in the program find a sense of community of global citizens and develop special bonds with their classmates. Certificate students enjoy learning more about one another at events like our Welcome Back Mixer in fall.
Connect on Social Media
Find us @FSUGCC on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!