CGE header

Certification of Financial Responsibility

      Download Undergraduate Student CFR Form

      Download Graduate Student CFR Form

All forms are available in alternative format upon request.

Florida State University is required by U.S. federal regulations to verify the financial resources of each applicant prior to issuing the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019). You must show proof of financial support for the first year of study and confirm availability of funds for the length of your academic program.

Each admitted student must submit a completed Certification of Financial Responsibility (CFR) Form to demonstrate proof of adequate funding. You can show funding from a personal account or use a relative or family friend as a sponsor. You may use more than one sponsor, if needed.  Please download the CFR for further instructions for how to complete the form.


These figures are the estimated minimum cost of attendance for 12 months which must be demonstrated on the CFR and are subject to increase without notice. Annual increases in tuition and fees are anticipated; therefore, it is suggested that an additional 15% be added to these totals to safeguard against increases. These figures are based on the assumption that a student is careful in the use of his or her money and does not plan to purchase an automobile or make frequent travel plans. As students’ summer plans may vary considerably, the below chart does not take into account summer enrollment and includes very minimal summer living expenses. If you will be taking summer classes your cost of attendance will be considerably higher and we advise you to keep this in mind when planning your personal budget. Additional information about summer enrollment and tuition costs is given on page 2 of the CFR instructions.

  Undergraduate Graduate
Tuition and Fees $21,673 (30 credits) $20,033 (18 credits)
Housing $6,786 $6,786
Food $3,932 $3,932
Personal $1,250 $1,250
Books and Supplies $1,000 $1,000
Health Insurance $1,848 $1,848
Summer $2,000 $2,000
TOTAL $38,489 $36,849*
Last Updated: 9/25/2013

*Graduate Students: Refer to the CFR for a list of academic programs with additional costs.

Dependents: If you are bringing a spouse and/or children, you must show an additional $6,000 for your spouse and $4,000 for each child who will be in the U.S. as your dependents. This does not include dependents with U.S. citizenship. Individuals other than your spouse or child cannot be considered dependents for immigration purposes.


The State of Florida requires all international students to have adequate health and accident insurance. All new FSU students (domestic and international) must have health and accident insurance which meets university requirements for adequate insurance. The Federal government also requires that all students in J-1 visa status and their dependents have health and accident insurance which meets or exceeds certain minimum requirements listed on page 2 of the DS-2019 form.

For information about university insurance requirements and costs, please see the FSU Thagard Student Health Center’s Insurance website at:

How long will it take to receive my I-20 (F-1 students)?

Once admitted to the university, and after the Center for Global Engagement has received the completed CFR, it will take approximately 5-7 business days to issue the I-20. You will be notified by e-mail when the I-20 is ready to send to you. The email will provide instructions for arranging shipment of the I-20 by express mail (FedEx or DHL) at the student's expense.

Who can sponsor me?

A sponsor can be anyone who is willing to provide financial support to pay for your studies and living expenses. Most applicants have their parents, family, friends, government agencies, or private scholarships sponsor them. Funding can come from different sources; it doesn't have to come from just one person. Current F-1 students cannot sponsor other F-1 students.

Why do you only accept "liquid assets"?

We can only accept liquid assets because there are no restrictions on withdrawal from these types of accounts. Liquid assets include money from checking and/or savings accounts. Types of funds that are NOT acceptable include: real estate holdings, stocks, bonds, salary verification letters, retirement funds, art holdings, and life insurance policies. Please refer to the CFR for more information about acceptable and unacceptable financial documentation.

Can I wait until I am admitted to send in the CFR and supporting financial documents?

It is recommended that you send the CFR as soon as possible, preferably at the same time submitting your application to the university. The longer you wait, the longer it will take for the Center for Global Engagement to review your documents and issue the immigration document needed for your U.S. visa application. This could cause problems or delays with regards to visa appointments and your arrival.

I’m a graduate student applying for funding from my academic department. Do I need to fill out the CFR if I plan to apply for department funding?

Yes. The information on CFR is needed in order to issue the I-20/DS-2019, even if you leave the financial information blank in anticipation of full funding from the academic department. You will indicate on the CFR that you are applying for department funding. If department funding is not awarded or is partially awarded, then you must show personal and/or sponsor funding.

Can I fax or email the CFR and financial documents?

Yes, you can fax or email a scanned copy of the documents in advance of sending an original copy. Please send the originals by mail after faxing or emailing the copy. Fax number: 850-644-9951, E-mail:  Please note that you will need to bring original copies of your financial documents with you for your visa appointment at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

How accurate is the Cost of Attendance estimate?

The financial requirements of the CFR are the minimum amount that FSU estimates you will need in order to live in Tallahassee, pay your tuition, fees, books and insurance. Depending on your lifestyle, you may require more funds than estimated. Tuition and fees are also subject to increase each year, further increasing your monetary needs. You should never anticipate needing less than the amount listed on your I-20 or DS-2019 form, even if you live much more frugally at home. Additionally, you are limited by the type of employment you can obtain in the U.S. as a condition of your student visa status. For more information on employment options, see the "Current Students" section of our web site for your visa category (F-1 or J-1).