J1 Students Immigration Information
Please note that the following information is meant to be used only by current and prospective students of Florida State University and only in the context of international visits to FSU specifically. It is not intended to be used and should not be construed as general legal advice.
The J-1 student status is issued primarily for government-funded students and students coming for a short-term, exchange program, under an agreement between their home university and FSU.
This section provides basic information about J-1 status.
If you have additional questions, you can contact an advisor:
- By phone or email.
- By coming by during walk-in hours.
- Walk-in hours are on a first-come, first-served basis
- If you need more than 10 minutes with an advisor, you should schedule an appointment instead of coming during walk-ins
- By scheduling an appointment (do this by phone or email).
- Unfortunately, you cannot make same-day appointments.
Students who are sponsored by an agency (IIE, LASPAU, Amideast) will need to seek immigration advice and travel signatures directly from their sponsor. FSU's advisor can assist with issues that arise on campus.
E. Tanya Schaad
Exchange Visitor Advisor
3:00pm to 4:30pm