TN - Worker through NAFTA Treaty
Entering From Abroad
A citizen of Canada or Mexico who is coming to the United States for temporary employment may qualify to enter in TN status. Occupations for which the TN can be granted are found in Appendix 1603.D. 1 of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
To apply for TN status when entering the U.S. from abroad, the Canadian or Mexico must present the following information to the free trade officer at a Class A Port of Entry or at a land border. (Please note that pre-departure inspection (immigration clearance) is done upon departure from airports in Canada, rather than at the destination airport in the U.S.):
- Proof of citizenship. A valid passport is the best evidence of citizenship. Until regulations change, Canadians may use a short or long-form Canadian birth certificate or certificate of Canadian naturalization.
- Letter from employer providing specific information about the position title, duties, and requirements, salary, duration of employment, and qualifications of beneficiary.
- Evidence that the job is one of the occupations in Appendix 1603.D. 1 You can print the appropriate page from the list, and it is best to refer to the occupation and list in the letter written by the employer.
- Original or certified copy of diploma and/or transcripts. If the degree was obtained outside Canada, Mexico, or the U.S. it is best to have a foreign credential evaluation. If the employer letter says that experience is required, the applicant should also have letters from previous employers that confirm the experience.
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
- For Canadians, there will be a $50 fee at the time of processing, plus a small fee for the I-94 processed at land borders. Mexicans must apply for a visa at a U.S. Consulate, and are subject to both the $100 visa fee, and a $100 reciprocity fee ($100 per each year of visa validity, up to 36 months. Note that period of admission cannot exceed 3 years.)
» Click here for a TN Visa sample letter
All forms are available in alternative format upon request.