INR 3931 - Beyond Borders
This course is designed to prepare you to more effectively communicate across cultures during your Beyond Borders cultural exchange. Throughout this course, you will learn concepts and theories to strengthen your global awareness and cultural adjustment skills, as well as your ability to interpret cultural identities and to navigate through re-entry challenges. Our ultimate goal is to learn about our perspective and the perspectives of our hosts.
To achieve this goal, by the end of this class, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the theory and process of intercultural communication and its application in global settings
- Apply self-awareness in preparing to engage with members from another culture
- Recognize the effects of your own cultural conditioning when communicating across cultures and interpret cultural similarities and differences
- Demonstrate knowledge of a culture beyond your own as well as an attitude of respect and openness
- Identify and interpret the host culture’s social, economic, political, religious, and environmental issues
- Collaborate effectively with people from cultures different from your own
- Effectively interact with FSU class peers
- Communicate effectively and appropriately in intercultural situations and enhance your ability to adjust behavior and/or body language
- Identify strategies to build, motivate, and sustain a team
- Identify and interpret the cultural similarities and/or differences in values and norms of your culture and your host culture, and interpret how they relate to each other
- Reflect on your experience and learn how to effectively articulate your global experience
If you have any questions, please contact Laura Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org.