Eligibility and Requirements for FSU students:
- Interest in learning about the host cultures of Jamaica or Germany
- Interest in increasing skills in cross-cultural communication and leadership and developing global awareness
- Participate in the planning and hosting of incoming students from Jamaica or Germany
- Register for and complete a one-credit hour course (INR3931) during spring semester
Application: Complete the application with the required information. Attach your essay and resume, including two references, before submitting the application.
Application Deadlines: The application, essay, and resume with contact information for two references is due Monday, October 2, 2017, for Jamaica and Sunday, October 22, 2017, for Germany.
Selection: Applicants selected for an interview will be notified by email. Ten to twelve participants (plus alternates) will be selected. Students selected for Jamaica will be notified in September and those selected for Germany will be notified in November.
Essay Question Guidelines: Please address all of the following questions in your essay to be attached to your online application submission:
- Aside from affordability, why do you see value in this type of cultural exchange as opposed to a more traditional study abroad program? What do you hope to gain from this experience?
- Hosting the visiting students and forming connections with them while at FSU is the most important part of the Beyond Borders experience. What knowledge, skills, and experience do you have that would make you the ideal host and ambassador for FSU? (Please note that the visiting students will be provided with housing by the CGE).
- Beyond Borders is a group experience, and the group will follow a very full, set schedule created by our hosts while abroad. Given your personality, please describe 1. If and why this type of travel appeals to you, and 2. What challenges you foresee in this type of structured experience.
If you have any questions, please contact Laura Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org.