Florida International Leadership Conference
Camp Ocala 4-H Center
DEADLINE for Student Applications:
DEADLINE for Session Proposals & Peer Leader Application:
The 7th annual Florida International Leadership Conference (FILC) is happening at Camp Ocala 4-H Center in Altoona, Florida from February 1-3, 2013. This inspiring conference is dedicated to providing a unique leadership training experience and networking opportunity for a select group of student leaders. Last year, the FILC was home to over 130 international students and U.S study or service abroad students representing 19 Florida schools and over 35 different countries!
The conference challenges future international leaders with teambuilding exercises and sessions on a variety of topics ranging from global leadership, to intercultural communication, to campus activism. Participants enjoy social activities such as campfires, a coffeehouse, cookouts, canoeing, and a Saturday evening dance party. Last year's FILC even included a student-organized "World Cup" soccer tournament with competing regions of North America, South America, Asia, Europe, and Africa.Goals of Conference
- To enhance leadership skills
- To promote friendships and networks among international and study abroad students
- To acknowledge and reward student leaders who work to promote international understanding on campus
- To challenge students to see themselves as global leaders
- To recognize the differing styles of leadership across cultures
Florida State University international students and U.S. students interested in global issues and leadership:
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Graduation date Fall 2013 or later (preference will be given to Juniors and Sophomores)
- Current or previous involvement in an activity or organization
All selected participants must commit to:
- Attending a pre-departure meeting on 01/11/2013
- Assisting with Global Café on 01/25/2013
- Supporting an FSU leadership workshop to be held 02/23/2013 (sponsored by InternatioNole Student Organization)
Cost of Conference:
All selected participants will be required to help host a Global Café on 01/25/2013. Proceeds from Global Café will assist in covering registration fees for the conference. Any remaining registration fees will be covered by the Center for Global Engagement.
Registration fees include housing, meals during conference, and transportation. NOTE: Meals on the way to and from the conference are not included.
First-time Applicants - Application closed.
Previous FILC Participants - If you attended FILC in a previous year, you have the opportunity to return to the conference as a Peer Leader or as a Session Presenter.
- Peer Leaders - 10 students statewide who attended last year's FILC may apply to return in 2013 and serve as Peer Leaders. The Peer Leader role involves assisting with sessions, co-presenting a session, and assisting with general conference activities and socials. Selected Peer Leaders will have all expenses provided, including food, lodging, transportation and conference registration. Go to Peer Leader Application. The deadline for application is Friday, January 4, 2013.
- Session Presenters - If you wish to present a 45-60 minute session or workshop, we encourage you to submit a session proposal.
- If you are also selected to be an FSU participant or peer leader, your FILC registration fees will still be covered.
- If you are selected to present but are not selected to be an FSU participant or peer leader, you may attend and participate in the FILC Saturday events (no overnight stay provided). No registration fee is necessary. Lunch will be provided.
Session proposals are due Monday, December 17, 2012.
- Session Proposal Applications are now available here.
"Thank you so much for making FILC possible. It truly changed my life. The friends that I made there I know are going to be my close friends forever. I came back from FILC with so much energy and it is spreading and making change already."
-- Pradiip (International Student - Venezuela) FILC Participant 2011
"... all the talks, speeches, discussions, activities - they taught me so much about leadership."
-- Saleh (International Student - Kuwait), FILC Participant 2011
FILC was a great, fun opportunity to meet other leaders studying in Florida from many countries. It gave us the chance to explore ideas and exchange information, as well as to clarify misunderstandings and get answers to necessary questions. The weekend was full of interactive, educational sessions; yet, was well balanced with free time.
-- Christy (U.S. Study Abroad Student) FILC Participant 2010
"Going to FILC gave me that same feeling I felt while abroad... I especially liked learning about the cultural differences of other students and how they were adjusting to life in America."
-- Sandy (U.S. Study Abroad Student), FILC Participant 2011
"FILC was a great, fun opportunity to meet other leaders studying in Florida from many countries. It gave us the chance to explore ideas and exchange information, as well as to clarify misunderstandings and get answers to necessary questions. The weekend was full of interactive, educational sessions; yet, was well balanced with free time."
-- Christy (U.S. Study Abroad Student) FILC, Participant 2010
Photos>>FILC 2012 - Facebook Group Photos
Back To Top