What is Beyond Borders?
Beyond Borders is a unique exchange program which offers an alternative to traditional academic study abroad programs and provides students with short-term, rich cultural learning experiences through immersion in the target cultures. Small groups of 10-12 students spend one week at the University of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica during FSU Spring Break; or 3 weeks in early May in Dresden, Germany at the Technical University - Dresden.
The benefits of participating in Beyond Borders:
- Learn about the target culture through interaction with the people in a variety of social, cultural, service and academic settings.
- Increase awareness of the social, cultural, political and environmental issues facing the host culture.
- Participate in leadership learning opportunities and share your culture with your counterparts during their exchange visit to FSU.
- Gain cultural competencies needed to make a difference in a global society.
- Fulfill the international requirement for the Global Pathways Certificate and Garnet and Gold Scholar Society.
All Florida State University students with an interest in the host culture and in developing cross- cultural competencies are eligible to apply. Minimum GPA of 2.8. For Germany, some knowledge German is recommended but not required.
"It meant breaking down some barriers, stepping outside my box, being a team player and experiencing things I couldn't do on independent travel. It wasn't about the touring, it was about the relationships.."
-- FSU to Dresden Student
"I felt completely immersed in the culture as a student. It was such a unique experience staying on campus and getting to do activities that tourists would never have access to"
-- FSU to UWI, Jamaica Student
If you have any questions, please contact Lena Papadopoulos email@example.com